2 point shot taken off the table for 2019 SSN season

Home Forum Australia 2 point shot taken off the table for 2019 SSN season

This topic contains 29 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  NetballNerd Dec 6, 2018 at 8:53 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    amandalouise

Maybe have taller GKs instead of all the tall players being trained as GSs??

nuts4netty

Problem is that the tall girls get put at GS because they do not tend to have the agility or speed of footwork for a defence position but can get away with it at GS.  How many times on here has it been commented that Kelly Jury and Erena Mikaere are too slow on their feet.

CharlesWB

Surely they need to do something though. We need to look at something. Some sort of rule change. Otherwise, in the future, every single team will have at least one, if not two ridiculously tall shooters and nobody will take a shot further than a metre from the ring. People complained about the way Tippett played this year, but with the rules as they are, she was only being smart. There is no incentive at all to shoot from any sort of distance. In fact there’s a real disincentive. They need to come up with something to change that.

That is a really great point. Personally, I still find this version of netball entertaining and can appreciate the sport for what it is, but I can understand that if netball wants to increase in popularity, the current format may not be exciting enough to attract new viewers. I just hope that there is a massive peak in viewership next year so the committee don’t feel the need to ‘make it more exciting’.

Well I can pretty much guarantee there’ll be at least one more SSN netball viewer counted next year. (I know that’s not exactly how it works) Got a dude from Nielsen coming on Wednesday evening to install all the stuff they need to track my viewing for the ratings thing. Not sure what I did to get put on their list, but I am happy to be doing my bit to skew viewing figures for all manner of programs. :-)

NettySuperFan

Well I can pretty much guarantee there’ll be at least one more SSN netball viewer counted next year. (I know that’s not exactly how it works) Got a dude from Nielsen coming on Wednesday evening to install all the stuff they need to track my viewing for the ratings thing. Not sure what I did to get put on their list, but I am happy to be doing my bit to skew viewing figures for all manner of programs. :-)

Yay!  :biggrin:

Ian

Unless they’ve changed things, you don’t keep it for a whole year, do you?

Ian

It’s all a bit silly really the way it works. Like for example, if for some bizarre reason all of us regulars on here suddenly all got ratings devices fitted in time for the Super Netball season, netball would suddenly become a bit of a hit show. There would certainly be a big ratings jump from this season anyway. That’s how things can be skewed.

Kerryn

Problem is that the tall girls get put at GS because they do not tend to have the agility or speed of footwork for a defence position but can get away with it at GS. How many times on here has it been commented that Kelly Jury and Erena Mikaere are too slow on their feet.

Kelly was originally a shooter through most of school, I remember that in an interview either last year or the year before – made a bit more sense how she plays defence after hearing that

CharlesWB

Unless they’ve changed things, you don’t keep it for a whole year, do you?

Maximum of 6 years.

They might take it off me sooner though . . . I doubt I will present as a main-stream viewer in *any* way–  streaming, Foxtel or FTA.

triton

if for some bizarre reason all of us regulars on here suddenly all got ratings devices fitted in time for the Super Netball season, netball would suddenly become a bit of a hit show.

If the residences that receive ratings boxes are chosen properly (meaning randomly), and there are enough of them to produce a small margin of error (say, >1000), then it is extremely unlikely that devotees of a particular sport would be over- or under-represented to a large degree.

Ian

As I said… “if for some bizarre reason”. It wouldn’t happen, but just imagine if it did.

HDav

There’ll always be a place for accurate long bombers, they have just as much tactical value as a tall holding shooter because they force defenders to play differently to how they normally do and to defend the whole circle rather than just one small area. I don’t want to see less time for a shot to be taken from up close. This is why umpire representation is important because they actually have to enforce these new rules. I do however want to see shooters penalised for all the held balls. Its not start counting and if they haven’t shot in three seconds give them one more and then blow the whistle nor is it start counting once they face the post or let them wait for the defenders to lose balance and then shoot. Aiken, Wood, Philip, Thwaites are some that come to mind, nothing against these players of course but I think this interpretation favours them on occasion and what’s the point of a defender putting in all that work if it doesn’t matter because the shooter will just get to wait or they’ll be called for obstruction on the last second and the shooter gets another three.

Yes yes yes yes!. Also enforce the rule that if the shooter pushes the ball into the defender’s hands ( and the defender’s hands are not moving downards) , it is the shooter’s contact.

Jbss

Absolutely agree, the defender is meant to defend the ball(not the eyes) but they then get pulled when the ball gets pushed into their hands, if it isn’t impeding the shooters natural action then it shouldn’t be called.

Pardalote

But whatever they do, if they absolutely must do something, make sure the solution isn’t worse than the problem, or that luck is more highly rewarded than skill.

This excellent point needs to be restated. At the moment we are at risk of a politicians’ solution – passing a law for a problem that does not actually exist, while ignoring the problems which do, but cannot be solved by a simple law/statement

Rebound1977

Surely they need to do something though. We need to look at something. Some sort of rule change. Otherwise, in the future, every single team will have at least one, if not two ridiculously tall shooters and nobody will take a shot further than a metre from the ring. People complained about the way Tippett played this year, but with the rules as they are, she was only being smart. There is no incentive at all to shoot from any sort of distance. In fact there’s a real disincentive. They need to come up with something to change that.

I don’t disagree with this but I think we really need to look at what the really undesirable aspects of the game are and I don’t think it’s in the shooting circle.  There have been huge tall shooters around forever, and while teams with these shooters are successful, the best teams are the ones who play together as a unit.  We’ve seen many giants used in the shooting circle by teams who have not been successful.

For me, I’d prefer to see some of the overly physical contesting and positioning worked out of the game particularly under posts.  I love the way that fair contesting has developed however, some of the “posting up” for rebounds etc with players being pushed, held and more dangerously moved whilst in the air could be addressed.

Some of the more recent rule changes are the ability to continue on without setting penalties, etc I think have been intelligent and good.

I’m not opposed to multi-point shooting – I just think that it should be in a different game like Fast 5 which I love, but I also love the traditional netball.  I feel it rewards the teams who are the most consistent.

NetballNerd

I would hate to see something like the 2 point shot rule coming in.  This is netball ffs not basketball.  If people want to watch or attend netball, they will.  No amount of rule changes will change that. If they want to address something, make the games more easily viewable on free to air tv. Limit the number of imports per team and emphasize more on our aussie players.  Im sick of always seeing international GS’s.

Keep rule changes to the fast5 series.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.