Netball Scoop Website

Home Forum Site Feedback Netball Scoop Website

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  NetballScoop 4mths .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jackie McBride
    Keymaster

Folks, I know yall are getting restless regarding the site, & you’re likely not going to appreciate my taking an hour or so to work w/the database yet again. Perhaps explaining a few things might help–per Tanya’s request.

Tanya’s had this site up since 2k7. I met her last May when she put out an SOS on the WordPress support forum where I serve as a volunteer, stating she couldn’t upgrade her database. The site’s front end was unaffected, but she couldn’t even log into her dashboard. I tried to help, but when I suggested using the command line, she told me that was not an area she felt comfortable with, despite hosting the site on a virtual private server. It was 1 of those situations where the hosting company told her that’s what she needed because of the high site traffic, & charged her plenty for the server, but failed to ascertain whether she possessed sufficient technical expertise to handle that sort of hosting arrangement. That’s actually fairly typical behaviour on their part. Although she’s really good at administering the site, she admits to not having the sort of technical acumen required to administer the nuts & bolts of a webserver.

It soon became quite clear to me that this site was literally crumbling from the inside out, rather like a termite eating the insides of a house–the outside looked fine, but there were problems internally. The database was (& still is) a gig & a half in size. If that doesn’t mean much, think “War & Peace” or “Crime & Punishment”. In looking at the server logs, I could see signs that there were times the database simply “went away”, as the logs so eloquently phrase it. By Christmas, she’d been unable to update her dashboard for a couple months. Had the situation been permitted to continue, Netballscoop would have assuredly joined the thousands of compromised websites, & yall would’ve risked getting a big fat virus infection on your machines, which I rather suspect would’ve made everyone most unhappy. Not only so, but the cost of fixing the site would’ve likely been sufficiently prohibitive to put it offline altogether.

We began working on the migration at the beginning of the year in hopes of a smooth transition. My plan was to split the content, i.e., have a site that just contained content for this year & archive the rest in another site, but the topics & replies didn’t export correctly. So much for plan A.

I then decided to put up the site as it was, but ended up having to rebuild the database, as it had gotten corrupted. In looking at my server logs over the past few days, I noticed a shipload of errors, &, on investigating further, they were from broken links of old content that bots were trying to access. I have determined how to fix those links, but there are thousands upon thousands of them. So what I’m going to need to do is back up the database, & then do a search & replace on it in order to repair the links. That sounds simple enough–& it really is not terribly hard–but the procedures take awhile because of the massive size of the database. I’m a clergy wife, & I help my husband w/the music for his chapel services. Clearly this is not a great weekend to perform maintenance for me, but I’ll actually try to do so, since I rather suspect most folks will be w/their families instead of on the site. If I don’t manage to do so, however, I’ll do it on Monday. Tanya & I agreed between 10 pm & 6 am S. Australian time would be best. So if the site’s  down for a bit, that’s the reason.

Obviously my major concern is to keep the site up while the netball season is in progress. I’ll do my best to do that, & 1 way I’m trying to do so is to make repairs now on those areas that have the potential to adversely affect site performance.

Tanya has not, until now, received much in the way of technical support for this site. She’s done an amazing job despite that, but the situation was rapidly deteriorating. This did not happen overnight, & it won’t be fixed overnight, either, much as I might wish it were otherwise. I do implore your patience as Tanya & I work to get this site on a strong footing.

I have been monitoring the website errors topic, & I did fix the login links. That was evidently a result of a switch from Buddypress to Ultimate Member. BBPress & Ultimate-member are not plugins w/which I’m intimately familiar, so I may have to research how to fix something regarding them when they break, as I did tonight in order to locate where those links were found in the code. It takes some time, so again, I ask patience as we work out a change in environment, both from the perspective of a new server & a new plugin.

I’m enjoying working w/Tanya & yall, & maybe I can even learn something about netball, which I’d actually never heard of prior to meeting her. I will monitor the site as closely as my obligations to other site owners permit. If anyone needs anything, please either post to this topic or ask Tanya to contact me. Have a great weekend, all.

Pardalote
    Participant

Thanks for taking the trouble to give us all the background Jackie – it makes it much easier to understand he problems and delays we have been having.

caribou
    Participant

Thanks Jackie. It’s easy to forget how much needs to be done ‘backstage’ to keep even the simplest website up and running, and this certainly isn’t one of those! Have a good Easter.

denisj
    Participant

Thanks Jackie,we all appreciate your help.
    :-D

NetballScoop
    Keymaster

Thanks for explaining what we’ve been through Jackie. Everyone, she has been a complete lifesaver to me. When I first started having trouble with the database I asked Vivant for help, and then found Jackie.

Hopefully all this fuss now will mean a very smooth future for the website.

Vivant
    Participant

Er, what?

Hope you aren’t blaming me for not fixing the issues as you asked for assistance with an issue with an upgrade which I was happy to give but you didn’t want to provide access to the website itself for me to take a look.

I’ve also offered in the past to assist you but you have never taken me up on that offer.

NetballScoop
    Keymaster

Er, what?

Hope you aren’t blaming me for not fixing the issues as you asked for assistance with an issue with an upgrade which I was happy to give but you didn’t want to provide access to the website itself for me to take a look.

I’ve also offered in the past to assist you but you have never taken me up on that offer.

No, not at all Vivant! I was just trying to say that I had received a bit of help from you and I am thankful for that.

I realised I needed more help on an ongoing basis. I’m sorry if it came across wrongly – I certainly didn’t mean for it to look like I was having a go at you.

Vivant
    Participant

Ok, no worries then NS

The phrasing was a bit odd so wasn’t sure what you meant.

As always I am happy to help where ever I can.

NetballScoop
    Keymaster

Thanks V :-D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.